Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ch. 7 - Ch. 8

In chapter 7, Jake asks Brett if they could live together. Brett refuses by telling him that she would make him unhappy by cheating on him later on. I thought it was thoughtful of Brett for saying that she cannot live with him even though they love each other. What bothered me was that even though Brett is sacrificing herself by not being with Jake, he still forces himself on her. By the end of the chapter, Jake kissed her. I don't get why he keeps trying. Sure, I understand that they love each other but because of his actions towards her, he is making things hard on Brett and himself. They both know that they cannot be together and because of Jake they still suffer. From what I've read so far on Brett, her characteristic is what is wrong. She frequently has sexual affairs. She goes to one man to another every time.

In chapter 8, the book stated the word "nigger." So in my point of view, I think lots of dark-skinned people may not liked the use of the "n-word."

Another thing is that there is a lot of smoking. In chapter 7, Brett was smoking in Jake's house letting the ash fall on the rug. She did eventually asked for an ash try but for someone who is smoking might just not mind smoking in the house. Because of this, everyone in the house would be exposed to second-hand smoking which is worse then smoking themselves. Jake and Count also smoked cigar. In my point of view, some people might want to find out which is better and start smoking cigar and cigarettes. I, myself, don't know which is worse but I know for sure that both of them are bad for your health. The characters smoking in the book may tempt people to try.

No comments: